Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Colors on the Walls

What am I doing?
What are any of us doing?
Day in day out it is the same.
There is a difference between being alive and
living.
So can someone tell me why the 
air I breathe feels stale.
In, out, in, out.
My heart beats evenly as I 
stare at these white walls.
Math equations and vocabulary words
running through my head on an
endless loop.
Think harder, I have to remember...

but why?

And in that moment of hesitation
it's gone.
All of the things I thought
I had to know
are gone.
The train of persistent knowledge
pounding into my head has
been derailed,
and I am left with a paintbrush.
I walk to the white walls
with useless trivia and derivatives
that my teachers said I needed to learn,
and begin painting over them.

Now the corporate machine is pissed,
and the doctor keeps telling me to take my meds,
but I haven't been taking those pills for years.
I finally release, and paint what my heart has
wanted to paint forever.
Goodbye logarithms.
Goodbye stoichiometry.
Hello art.
Hello Music.

Hello Me.

2 comments:

  1. Knowledge, schooling, and quite honestly, math in general; May not be as useful as tools or logarithms, but as exercises to grow your young, underdeveloped brain. It's a way for us to better ourselves in life, while also growing. That's how I've always known.. I love this.

    ReplyDelete